Saturday, February 1, 2014

Acknowledgment of Sin

They were baptized by him in the river Jordan, 
confessing their sins.
Matthew 3:6


Our Lord warns us not to fear because there are three false fears that keep us from God: We want to be saved, but not from our sins; we want to be saved, but not at too great a cost; we want to be saved in our way not His. -- Bishop Fulton Sheen

A first path of repentance is the condemnation of your own sins: be the first to admit your sins and you will be justified. For this reason, too, the prophet wrote: I said: I will accuse myself of my sins to the Lord and you forgave the weakness of my heart. Therefore, you too should condemn your own sins; that will be enough reason for the Lord to forgive you, for a man who condemns his own sins is slower to commit them again. Rouse your conscience to accuse you within your own house, lest it become your accuser before the judgment seat of the Lord. -- St. John Chrysostom

Your first task is to be dissatisfied with yourself, fight sin, and transform yourself into something better. Your second task is to put up with the trials and temptations of this world that will be brought on by the change in your life and to persevere to the very end in the midst of these things. -- St. Augustine

I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I did not hide; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"; And You forgave the guilt of my sin. -- Psalm 32:5

I acknowledge my offense, and my sin is before me always.  -- Psalm 51:5



Published: March 22, 2011 - 8:54AM; January 29, 2013 - 7:49AM; December 8, 2013 - 8:07AM